Tuesday 22 May 2007

John 9

I have just come home from Bible study and thought I would jot down a few thoughts- for my benefit as much as anyone else's. We have been studying John- which has been a big challenge- and I feel like I have been seeing Jesus a fresh- and being encouraged and challenged to 'look Jesus in the eye' rather than have him sit in a box that I have made for him. The pharisees have always been the bad guys- but it's amazing to be challenged by the ways that I so often fail to see Jesus for who he really is, and wholly depend on him for my every need- and so become pharisaic.
Today we looked at the blind man in chapter 9 whose eyes were opened by Jesus in more ways than one. It was so obvious in looking at this whole passage- the intimate involvement that Jesus had in bringing this man to himself. It is humbling, as well as uplifting to know that everything we see and understand is because of God- showing himself to us. The moment we become dependant on ourselves- self righteous in any way- we are losing sight of Jesus- and become lost in the same darkness that the Pharisees were floundering in. I am so thankful that Jesus has opened my eyes and is continuing to help me to see and understand new truths about himself. I have also been challenged afresh to pray for those I know whose hearts are hard- that God will do the softening and that I won't feel like this is my job. I guess I just pray that God will use me to display his great work (Jn 9:3,39)- and that I will be bold- knowing that it is he who does all the work and that he is far more powerful than I.
Very simple things- but refreshing. The Holy Spirit is amazing- the way he works in our hearts and minds.

1 comment:

Em said...

Hi Liz et al!
Just found your blog when catching up on the Taskers. Sounds like you guys are settling in well. I'm glad you've been discovering Aussie treats in Sainsbury's..they can be few and far between. (For the record, if you need a TimTam fix and can't find them, buy Penguins, they're pretty similar!)
It's awesome to hear that the munchkins are getting excited about Jesus! I would love to have their courage, to be able to just talk to anyone anywhere about what the Lord has done for us - I guess that's just what it means to have the faith of a child!
Anyway, we're praying for you back in St Ives, keep well, and keep updating!
Love Em